Monday, June 30, 2014

ParallaxBreakdown

More breakdown for my personal project Parallax. All textures were done a little bit differntly. A lot of them were started in Zbrush and taken to Ndo2/DDO for additional texturing and sent to CS6 to finish off before sending to Unity/Maya. All shaders being used are made in Shader forge and cube maps were generated form skyshop. 

Skybox:
Creating the skybox consisted of creating my skybox painting in photoshop. I used a 4096 x 2048 canvas. When I was ready to set up the skybox in Unity Skyshop I converted the image in photopshop to a 32 Bit Channel (Image>Mode> 32 bit channel). Then saved the image out as a Radiance (HDR) image. From there it's only a matter of plugging in the image in skyshop and generating new cube map. Skyshop does all the tech heavy lifting for you. 





Textures:
Here's the tillable textures I used throughout the scene. All textures were started in 2k format and shrunken down to 512 x 512 when exported to Unity. The gloss was saved in the spec's alpha channel. I often used a small noise normal map texture and tiled it about 20 times to add small detail. 






ShaderForge:
Shader forge is something truely sent from the gods. Finally give unity artists a way of making awesome shaders the way udk has been doing for years. A lot of trial and error was needed to make the final shaders that are showcased in the project. A lot of set up in maya was needed for the shaders. I often would set up vertex colors to tell the where textures might scroll/fade/transition. Once I knew how I wanted things set up it was a very simple process of using the maya vertex paint tool to set things up exactly how I wanted them. 

Water/Stream Shader:
The water shader was used  in my waterfall/pond area. It has nodes to let you control water depth and speed. Side note, if you crank the refraction and stop the scrolling it makes a convening ice shader too ;)
  
 Water shader used as ice in early ver of scene that was cut.



 Puddle Shader:
The puddle shader was easily the most troublesome one to make. It does not have true refractions but gives a pretty good look of a puddle. The puddles/spec/gloss are ran through an alpha map and the water scrolls only through that alpha map.



Vertex Blending:
For the vertex blending shader I set the colors to be red and green. I painted the vertexes in Maya to separate the 2 textures. I used 3 materials to have seamless blending between the sections. 



Cloud Shader:
With the clouds I made a simple dome shape and painted out the vertex alphas on the boarder to have the texutres fade out. I can control the speed and direction of the cloud textures through the shader as well. 



Rock Shader:
The Rock shader is pretty simple. I do have a detail normal map that is tiled many times to get a nice detail look when you get up close to it. 

Vegetation Shader:
The vegetation shader is an edited version of the one that comes with shader forge. I just simply added a wind speed node and changed the vertex input to alpha for my preference. Depending on the amount of alpha in the vertex tells the model how much to move. i.e. 1 = a lot 0 = none. 






















No comments:

Post a Comment